CAT scan shows small area of irregular soft tissue density. Degenerative changes of spine noted. Should I undergo biopsy?

Cat scan shows small area of irregular soft tissue density in the submental soft tissues of the midline, suspected to represent a small area of confluent soft tissue edema/inflammation. degenerative changes of the spine noted. It is 2 cm under chin. Have 5 unmoveabe lumps on upper back of leg.what could this be? did not scan leg. Should it be biopsed? Radiologist was unaware of other lumps,
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 2 hours later
You asked whether it should be biopsed. If you were my patient i will go for clinical examination first and then I will advice for ultrasound then the last thing I will do is fine needle aspiration cytology or biopsy to know whether they are some collections or lipomas. This is the answer I would give for your present problem. If you want to go for biopsy first, I will suggest fine needle aspiration cytology first for both the swellings (on your leg and under your chin).

In addition, coming into your CAT scan report it is associated with your tethered spine.

Hope I have answered your question. You can ask any follow-up queries if you have.

Follow-up: CAT scan shows small area of irregular soft tissue density. Degenerative changes of spine noted. Should I undergo biopsy? 8 hours later
Should whatever is under chin be removed?I am concerned about enlargement which could really interfere with swallowing causing more muscle spams ? Also what would an ultrasound show that a cat scan with contrast did not. Also could the pressure from the spine (curves and swells at times,and have 2 protruding disks effect or cause the swelling?
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 1 hour later

I am sorry; my previous reply wasn't clear. Let me try today to explain it better.

I understand you had a scan of the neck which revealed irregular densities probably related to inflammation. Inflammation can continue if not treated and may cause difficulties while swallowing. Whether or not, your doctors would decide to remove will be decided after a clinical examination. If it is inflammation or collection of pus then you have to undergo treatment with antibiotics later on incision and drainage.

It was not very clear in your query, if scans were performed on legs. If the 5 unmovable lumps was detected on clinical examination (not cat scan), then the ideal next step is an ultrasound scan. Biopsy can be planned after the ultrasound check.

The protruding disc is not related to swelling under your chin.

Hope I have answered your question.