CAT scan showed focal atherosclerotic calcification of the abdominal aorta. Warrant further investigation?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My cat scan showed focal atherosclerotic calcification of the wall of the distal abdominal aorta. Does this warrant further investigation?After passing a kidney stone, my ct scan showed mild infiltrative changes in the perinephrotic space
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 48 minutes later

Abdominal aorta calcification is usually caused by following factors.
1 High blood pressure or high cholesterol.
2 Hyperparathyroidism
3.cigarette smoking or genetic factor (familial)

Since you already have high cholesterol and renal stones, the following investigations should be done after discussing with your doctor

1 complete renal function test to test kidney function.
2 serum parathyroid and serum calcium, phosphorus levels to rule out hyperparathyroidism.
3 serum cholesterol and triglycerides, recheck if not tested recently.
4 A high resolution spiral contrast ct scan or magnetic resonance (mr) angiography of abdominal aorta to rule out any complications like aortic stenosis or aneurysm.

These tests are not an emergency as of now and can be done after discussing with your treating doctor.

The infiltration around kidney could be due to edema related to renal stone passage.

If unresolved and renal function tests abnormal then diagnosis of exact cause might require further
repeat scan or biopsy. As of now nothing worrisome.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back to me if you have any more queries.