Bypass surgery done. CT scan showed infarct of the left parietal lobe. Looking for suggestion

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question

My father recently underwent bypass surgery. After this, based on his condition Doctors recommended for the CT scane. His report says something link this ' The study reveals a moderate-sized ill-defined hypodense lesion seen involving the perventicular and subcortical white matter of the left parietal lobe, suggestive of likely acute infarct-MRI Brain is suggested. No evidence of any acute haemorrhage is seen' . Please help us to understand this. What is the process to need to follow. Whether this problem fully curable

Thanks,
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
CT scan has shown infarct (blood clot) of the left parietal lobe.
This refers to blockage of blood supply in the left side of brain.
As a result, the function of that part of brain may become compromised. In this case, it may lead to weakness or numbness of right hand and leg.
The common reasons (risk factors) for brain stroke of this nature are- diabetes mellitus, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, etc.
Treatment includes- use of blood thinners such as aspirin, control of any risk factors as mentioned above and physiotherapy (exercises).
With above measures, most people make good recovery (though complete cure may not occur).
I hope it clarifies.
Please get back if you have any follow up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Bypass surgery done. CT scan showed infarct of the left parietal lobe. Looking for suggestion 3 hours later
Thanks a lot Dr. XXXXXXX for your quick and thorough reply.
Apart from weakness in right hand and leg he also face problem in speaking and sometimes in understanding what we say. Also it seems that he is facing problem in reading and writing. Please let me know if you think any other kind of treatment is required to overcome these problems. He is already going through physiotherapy.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back with more details.
In a right-handed person, the language area is located in the left side of brain. That is why he has problems with language such as reading, writing, understanding and speaking. This problem is called aphasia. These will improve over time.
A medicine called PIRACETAM (nootropil) 1200 mg twice daily may be useful in this condition.
You can also take him for speech therapy in addition to physiotherapy.
Please get back if you require any additional information.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Bypass surgery done. CT scan showed infarct of the left parietal lobe. Looking for suggestion 4 days later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for your kind help.
From last few days I was trying to collect information on medicines that Doctors have prescribed to my father after the bypass surgery. And came to know that they have recommended 'Strocit' for some neurological problem. Please let me know if this medicine also works same as PIRACETAM.
In some forums I found people discussing whether after such damage, 'brain cells regenerate or remain dead forever', but I was not able to conclude anything. Please let me know if after such problem, brain cells actually regenerate (within the damaged part) or with time other parts of brain takes the ownership of compromised functions.
Sorry for asking too many questions. Believe me I tried my best to get answers for these but could not able to get any. Please help us here .

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 hours later
STROCIT- citicholine is believed to be useful for neuroprotection and is most useful within three months after stroke. Most research has been done in Japan and is used by most Indian neurologists. Beyond three months, its usefulness is not known.
Piracetam is a nootropic agent and is useful in cases of post-stroke aphasia (language dysfunction after brain stroke), as in your father's case.
Brain cells do not regenerate in most people after 40, however, in children below 8, it may happen upto some extent. In most cases, other parts of brain takes over the functions of the damaged part (called as neuronal pasticity).
I am thankful to you for asking these questions. I like people who are curious for more knowledge (as I too am one of them!).
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM