Bypass surgery, burning sensation in the hand. Taking wax heat, electric shocks. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I HAD GONE UNDER BYPASS SURGERY AND ARTERY FROM MY LEFT HAND WAS HARVESTED.OPERATION WAS DONE ONE MONTH BEFORE. NOW I HAVE GOT BURNING SENSATION IN MY HAND AND IT PANING LIKE ANYTHING. I HAVE CONSULTED PHYSIOTHARAPIST AND HE IS GIVING ME WAX HEATING PLUS ELECTRICAL SHOCKS BUT OF NO USE . THERE IS NUMNESS IN MY INDEX FINGER . PAIN IS TOO MUCH I CANT SLEEP DURING NIGHT . PL HELP THANKS
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
From your description it seems that you have suffered a nerve injury during the surgery that you underwent. A arm will be helpful in identifying the exact site and extent of injury you have suffered.
Consulting a neurologist will be helpful. You will need prescription drugs like gabapentin and methylcobalamin supplements for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.