By how much will a 1/4 cup of cream in before fasting cholesterol blood test influence the results?

How much would having a 1/4 cup of cream in my coffee an hour before a fasting cholesterol blood test influence the results/
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Drinking coffee with ΒΌ cup cream before your cholesterol testing can definitely raise your cholesterol levels and give false positive results.

You should fast (no food or liquids other than water) for nine to 12 hours before the test. You can drink water in the time leading up to the test, but avoid coffee, tea and other beverages.

There are no widely published data on the effects of drinking black coffee within the 12-hour fasting period on cholesterol test result but coffee with cream should be avoided as they effect the test results. It may show raised (more than the actual) levels of cholesterol. The amount of raise that it will cause cannot be predicted but a repeat test after 12 hours fasting after 2-3 days may need to be done. The difference in reports will tell the false positive raise caused by cream in the coffee.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.