Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning when urinating, no vaginal discharge, no infection. What is causing this?

i have gone to the doctor about a bladder infection from burning while i urinate. it came back clear and there was no infection. i haven't had sex to get a std but it burns in the front part of my vagina. what is causing this. there is also no vaginal discharge. it hurts constantly. when i wipe i wipe front to back and there is never any blood or anything. there are no bumps abrasions or anything out of the ordinary.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

You are describing vaginal discomfort, localized to the area around where you urinate, a negative evaluation for a UTI, and this is exacerbated with wiping.

Obviously there is sensitivity of the vaginal skin, so to speak, around the urethra (where urine comes out). This might be related to an undiagnosed yeast infection (this can be present without a discharge or itching) or related to inflammation of the glands around the vaginal opening - called vulvar vestibulitis.

The treatment usually involves an initial course of topical steroid cream or ointment with the possible addition of yeast medication, and reducing inciting factors, such as foods high in oxalate and certain cleansers. A good place to turn is the website for the "vulvar pain foundation". This will give you some guidance with regard to things you can try on your own. You should find an OB/GYN who is willing to help you until you find a solution.

I hope this helps - Dr. XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Burning when urinating, no vaginal discharge, no infection. What is causing this? 2 days later
what kind of over the counter medicine is available for this or what would you prescribe for the yeast medication.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 29 hours later

Hi and thanks again,

Antifungal cream/suppositories available as Lotrimin / Monistat are available over the counter.

However for better symptom relief you would need antifungal paired with steroid. You will need a prescription from your gynecologist to get the paired steroid products. Therefore I suggest you to visit your doctor's office for a prescription whilst using lotrimin / monistat.

Hope this helps.

Wish you a speedy recovery