Burning sensation in hernia area. X-ray report is normal. On glucosamine and chondroitin. Any suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have A burning sensation down in the hernia area, My doc checked this and it was fine ,so we took an x-ray of the hip
and found no degenerating he at first about arthritis or burss this comes and goes when I make some diff movements
I m tryingglucosamine 1500mg and chondroitin ,some help but not enough
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Methylcobalamin supplements will help.

Detailed Answer:
The burning sensation in the area of hernia can be due to a superficial nerve irritation or a vitamin B 12 deficiency. Glucosamine and chondroitin are lubricating agents and they are not likely to help you since arthritis has been ruled out.
This can also be caused by lack of blood supply as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis, underactive thyroid and abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body.
Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12/ Methylcobalamin for some days and see if the symptoms improve.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.