Burning sensation in fingers, toes and sore wrists. Could this be carpel tunnel syndrome?

Nov 2013

Hi, I have had burning in my fingers and toes which a neurologist said could be from taking too much B6. After stopping the B6 (1.5 months ago), the burning is still occurring and getting worse. I have also had very sore wrists and hands and radiating pain in my hands and sometimes forearm so not sure if this is related. Could it be carpel tunnel syndrome? I am debating whether to see a new neurologist as the one I saw didn't seem very interested in helping me-basically just said it was probably the B6- though at the time the burning in my toes and fingers seemed to be improving (and I didn't have the sore wrist/hand). I have tried taking Endep 10 mg at night for the pain but I did not feel very well the next morning. I am not sure what to do as the pain in my hands is getting worse. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

Your symptoms are suggestive of peripheral neuropathy, which means the cause of your symptoms are related to disease of nerves of hands and feet.

It could be carpal tunnel syndrome (caused by an entrapment of nerve at the level of wrist). This produces pain, burning and tingling in fingers, hands, forearms and arms, which are more at nights. Numbness and weakness of hands may also occur.

You need to see a neurologist for confirmation of diagnosis, who may do a nerve conduction studies (NCV & EMG) to confirm the diagnosis. It is unfortunate that your previous neurologist was not interested in helping you, but you can see another one.

As of now, you could benefit from taking pregabalin or gabapentin capsules.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My blog: