Burning sensation in chest, radiates to back, shoulder blade. Taking antacids. History of heartburn. Heart conditions?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
For a few weeks now I get sudden burning in the middle to right side of the chest and it radiates to the back and shoulder blade. Antacids help sort of. Is this possibly heart related? I've had heartburn very rarely, but nothing as strong as this.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 29 minutes later

Any chest pain radiating to the shoulder blade should be evaluated thoroughly to rule out heart problems like myocardial ischemia.

There are other possibilities too like, a gall bladder stone or pathology of pancreas. Heartburn can be a possibility if you have history of acid reflux and yes antacids may offer relief in such case. But that cannot rule out a cardiac pain.
But I would advise you consult your physician and get a basic evaluation at least like
1. Blood pressure.
2. Electrocardiogram.
3. Some blood tests like blood sugar, blood counts, lipid profile, and liver profile.
4. Treadmill stress test (if needed as indicated by above tests.
5. Ultrasound abdomen.

These tests will confirm the diagnosis out of the above mentioned possibilities and clear your doubts. There is no benefit of wait and watch policy as it would only add to your stress.

Hope I have answered your query.