Burning rash on face, stomach cramps, negative blood test, taken prednisone and hydrocortisone, knee pain, sore groin. Any idea?

Hey doctor. I had a one night stand 5 weeks ago and I woke up a few days later with a burning rash on my face and stomach cramps. I saw a doctor who took blood samples that were all negative and sent me to an urologist and dermatologist. The dermatologist said it looked like an allergic reaction. He put me on prednisone and hydrocortisone cream. It helped the burning but it finally got better a few days ago when he took me off prednisone and prescribed monodox. I have been taking it for a week. The urologist said everything looks fine but I know it's not. The abdominal pain has lasted 5 weeks and gotten a little worse over the last few days. I don't know if that's because of the monodox. I also have pain behind my knees and sometimes a sore groin. Any idea would it could be. I seem to get more stressed out since they can't seem to figure out what it is.
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I understand your concern and will try to help you but I would be needing few informations from you so that I can narrow down the possibilities of the cause
How long the pain last?
When does the pain occur?
What causes the pain?
What relieves your pain
Has color of your urine turned dark or yellow?
     Is your pain steady, severe, or regularly recurring?
     Does your pain impair your ability to work or perform your routine activities?
     Have you lost weight or your appetite?
     Is your pain associated with nausea and vomiting?
     Do you experience fever?
     Have your bowel habits changed?
     Do you experience difficulty in swallowing?
     Does your pain awaken you from sleep?
     Do you have a previous history of ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux, gallstones, inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease), and intestinal surgery?
     Do you think that your pain abdomen started the day you started taking prednisolone.
Any investigations like ultrasound or CT abdomen done by your urologist?
What medications were provided by urologist to you?
Please supply these informations so that we can proceed ahead with our discussion.
Follow-up: Burning rash on face, stomach cramps, negative blood test, taken prednisone and hydrocortisone, knee pain, sore groin. Any idea? 2 hours later
The pain lasts for about a minute. It occurs throughout the day. I am not sure what causes it but sitting or driving for an extended period of time seems to make it worse. Changing position sometimes makes it better and the pain is sometimes on either side. The pain is regularly recurring. Urine color is normal and it hasn't affected my work routine. I have lost about 3-5 lbs since this started but no nausea or vomiting. No fever and my bowel movements have increased a little. No problems swallowing and it hasn't awaken me from sleep. No ulcer or other history and the pain was before the prednisone. Ultrasound done by urologist came back negative and no medication was prescribed by him.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 20 minutes later
Your history suggests two things
You have lost 3-5 lbs of weight
And increased bowel movements
This picture points towards suspicion of
Irritable Bowel syndrome
Celiac disease
ulcerative colitis
Lactose intolerance
I advise you to consult a Gastroenterologist and get CT abdomen along with possible colonoscopy done for the diagnosis.
Follow-up: Burning rash on face, stomach cramps, negative blood test, taken prednisone and hydrocortisone, knee pain, sore groin. Any idea? 17 hours later
The pain is sharp now and usually near the bottom of the rib cage on either side. Should I be worried since it started a few days after the one night stand and still hasn't gone away since. Also is the pain behind the knees and sore groin a sign of anything related.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 12 hours later
The pain below rib cage should definitely be explored and doesn't seem to have relation with one night stand and no relation with pain behind the knees.
Pain groin doesn't seem to have any relation with pain behind your knees.