Burning pain below the ribs, nausea. No gall stones in ultrasound. Elevated WBC levels. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi i have had really bad pain burning stabbing.under lower right rib, starting to move up breast bone.naseua ,sickness. Cant lie on that side cannot get comfortable.
also starting to have irregular bowel problems, and burning sensations in tummy, urinating vibrant yellow.had ultra sound did not see gall stones... i am just fed up been 12 weeks of agony
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Follow-up: Burning pain below the ribs, nausea. No gall stones in ultrasound. Elevated WBC levels. Reason? 4 minutes later
blood test white blood cells up slight. but mch have been above range throughout 5 blood tests and haemoglobin conentrate above range
thank u
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later

You have mentioned that the pain is sharp and is located in your abdomen on right side below the rib.

Since you have pain when you lie on that side, it can be related to the Diaphragm or pleura.
Structures which are closely associated to diaphragm on right side can cause such pain. These include, Lower lobe of right lung and right sided pleura, right Lower Ribs, Liver, gall bladder and right Kidney.

If there has been injury to the muscles over the abdomen, even then there can be such a pain.
Mild increase in WBC count is suggestive of an infection.
Hence, Ultrasound Abdomen is definitely indicated. Consider getting and X XXXXXXX chest too as lower right lung lesions can lead to similar pain abdomen as in you.

Till then, you can take analgesics.
Consider taking paracetamol or ibuprofen for your pain.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.