Burning in the mouth. Diagnosed with hiatus hernia and GERD. Have to take Neksium, Kinpride . Will these help in reducing the enlarged hole in diaphragm?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello, I have been diagnosed with Hiatus Hernia and GERD - prescribed Neksium 40 1 a day and Kinpride 1 x 3. Do these tablets really help in reducing the enlarged hole in the diaphragm. Also, is my middle back ache related to this condition. My mouth burns all the time, right up to the lips, especially the palette - is that related to GERD as well? Thanks for an answer
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query

Neksium is an inhibitor of acid production and kinpride is a prokinetic. They help in GERD by aiding acid clearence from the esophagus and reducing the acid production. They have no effect on the hiatus hernia per se. You can try some disphragmatic or breathing exercises ti try and tone up your diaphragm and hence correct the hernia. Severe GERD can be associated with some upper back discomfort. But at your age you should also rule out any spinal degenerative illness or a osteoporotic fracture.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Burning in the mouth. Diagnosed with hiatus hernia and GERD. Have to take Neksium, Kinpride . Will these help in reducing the enlarged hole in diaphragm? 15 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your advice. There is constant burning sensation in my mouth and on my lips. Occasional mouth ulcers also appear. Could this have anything to do with the hiatus hernia

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up
A burning sensation in the lips and mouth and oral ulcers are not the manifestations of GERD or hiatus hernia. Rather, this can be the manifestations of serum vitamin B12 levels checked.
Further, take plenty of fruits and vegetables and tablet Becosules 1 tablet daily with food. This will produce significant relief.

Dr XXXXXXX