Burning feeling on shoulder when taking deep breath. Suspected for nerve pain. Proper diagnosis?

I have a burning feeling on right side where bra strap lies. Seen physio who thinks it is nerve pain, GP also agrees it could be nerve pain also. however last few days if I take a really XXXXXXX breath I can feel it, why would this be?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 40 minutes later
Thanks for your query. The symptoms you report of particularly in association with XXXXXXX breathing is suggestive of costochondritis i.e inflammation of cartilage between your ribs. Hence, you can try a pain killer like ibuprufen or analgesic gel on the local site. If still the symptoms do not improve, i would suggest an orthopaedic evaluation.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Burning feeling on shoulder when taking deep breath. Suspected for nerve pain. Proper diagnosis? 10 minutes later
I have tried that to no avail, my doc has prescribed amitripyyline which I have taken since Sunday, only 10mg she has now suggested taking 2 a night. However I forgot to ask why I also feel the burning sensation when I cough or take a XXXXXXX breath
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 4 minutes later
The pain during cough or XXXXXXX breath is because the thoracic pressure increases during the above requiring expansion of ribs. hence when the region of cartilage in between ribs is inflamed it would result in the above symptoms. You would need to rest adequately and it is usually self resolving with time. Hence you not have to worry.
Dr Sundar