Bunked elbow and arm. The elbow now swollen and arm is purple. What to do next?

I bunked my elbow and arm real hard. The elbow is swollen and my arm turned purple. What to do?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 39 minutes later

As you have had bad injury it has probably caused some damage to the blood vessels under the skin so the arm looks purple.Presently since it is swollen and you may be having pain you can take a over the counter medicine like Tylenol or Motrin(if you are not allergic or asthmatic).

Local application of cold pack( ice) every 4 hours for 10 minutes will help reduce the swelling quickly. A X-ray may be needed to rule out any fracture of bone. I would certainly suggest you to consult a Orthopaedic surgeon for examination and he shall do the necessary treatment. This is important at this age where osteoporosis is almost found.

Hope you find this answer helpful. In case of any query you can write back and I shall help you.Please accept this answer and close this query if you have no further questions.