Bumps on the side of neck and inner bumps. Visible. Treatment?

General Surgeon
I have two bumps on the side of my right neck, its inner bumps. They are visible if I tilt my head (they pop out) and they kind of hurt. I woke up this morning with a sore neck and felt them
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
They are enlarged lymphnodes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in healthcare magic
Normally,there are multiple lymphnodes in the neck.They have drainage areas in the mouth,scalp etc.
For example,if there is infection in the mouth,the infection spreads to the corresponding drainage lymphnode ane leads to its enlargement.
So,the two bumps in the neck may be enlarged lymphnodes.As the duration is short,they are enlarged due to infection.
I prescribe antibiotic like Cefuroxime and anti inflammatory tablet to my patients with similar complaints.If there is no response in a week,i remove one swelling and send it for histopathological condition(Biopsy).
Nothing to worry.
Please consult your doctor and proceed accordingly.
Hope i answered your query.
If you have any questions,i will clarify further