Ask a Urologist   »  

Bumps on penis after unprotected sex, no pain or itchiness, Is this Herpes or warts?

Question
Hello, about a month and half ago I had unprotected sex. About five days I noticed under the head of my penis four very very tiny (you have squint your eyes to really see tiny) shiny pinkish, maybe skin colored, but in some light they kinda appear to look like red tiny bumps, but in most lighting they are pink to skin tone. It's hard to tell their color because there so small. They arranged somewhat in a straight line vertically on my penis, and very very slightly elevated. There is no pain or itchiness at all (although after noticing them I kinda felt a "sensation" in that area but I think it's in my head because I'm so focused on them and it correlated directly with me noticing them during a random inspection of my penis) and I vaguely remember seeing one of these bump's months ago but I can't remember for sure. I masturbate frequently (two times a day at least) and do not use lubrication and thought it might be possible for erosion or something along those lines to be causing these bumps but I have no idea really. I also thought herpes but they are not getting worse of better or anything like that like that and it's my understanding that herpes comes and goes, while they seem to be stable. There is no red rash or anything like that connecting them. I have that pearly penile condition with the white bumps, but I have never noticed any bumps above where my foreskin used to be. But again I vaguely remember seeing one these bumps sometime ago but am not 100 percent on that. One of the bumps is slightly larger than the rest, had it not been for this bump I would have considered the other ones inconsequential, but it is slightly more pronounced than the others and got my attention. I thought maybe warts, but if they are warts they certainly don't resemble anything you see on the internet, but I know those are extreme cases. Part of me thinks I'm making something out of nothing, but my paranoid side says FREAK OUT! Should I be worried?

P.S.
I have uploaded a picture of my penis, the bump that is not circled is the big one. It looks red now because I freaked and tried to scrap it off. The two that are circled are how the original one looked.
WWW.WWWW.WW

Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The rash on your penis head seems to be due to friction or fungal infection. You can apply a local antiseptic and antifungal ointment to have relief.
Other possibilities is dermatitis- caused by infections, allergies, and irritants (such as soaps, certain creams).Lesions are usually in the form of itchy small red bumps.
When become white headed, it may indicate a secondary bacterial infection and formation of pus.
Don’t use any cosmetics on the penis, instead use some topical creams like Lotrimin after prescription from your doctor. Wear cotton clothes, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then you may need oral antimicrobials/ antifungals for which you have to consult and get it prescribed from your doctor.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.

Follow-up: Bumps on penis after unprotected sex, no pain or itchiness, Is this Herpes or warts? 1 hour later
Wow, thanks, that's a huge relief, whenever you find something growing down there your mind always assumes the worst I guess. I don't have another question, just wanted to say thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
You are most welcome.