Bumps behind each ear. CAT, blood work normal, not lymph nodes. Cancer?

I am a 37 year old female, 5'5 140 lbs. i went to my physician with question regarding 2 small bumps (one behind each ear is same spot) I had blood work (cbc and ldh) both were normal and CAT scan said they were not lymph nodes, just maybe tissue. I am still a little worried. I have no other real symptoms. Would you suggest further tests? I worried about cancer
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

First of all let me reassure you that I feel very confident that you're not dealing with any type of cancer or life threatening illness.

Also if the tissue which you are referring to is not lymphatic tissue or lymph nodes I would be more inclined to think that these are tiny sebaceous cysts. these types of cysts can be either painful or painless and can sometimes develop out of nowhere. Typically they do not change much incised and sometimes will resolve. Occasionally they can become larger and more irritated In that case a surgeon can sometimes remove the cyst.

You have had a very thorough workup including a CAT scan which is very sensitive in picking up suspicious changes in tissue. I would not recommend any additional testing to be done at this time as I see real benefit would not be likely in that case.

I would recommend that for the time being you continue to observe things. I also recommend that you do not press or rub or scratch these areas which you have described. If you do this it could sometimes cause them to become larger.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert