Bump under skin in groin area. What could it be?

General Surgeon
I have a bump under my skin in groin area 4 -5 inches under belly button I don't know if its a cyst or in grown hair or abscess?? I had an abscess on inner thigh a few months ago and had to have it drained.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It is extremely hard to answer your question not seeing this bump. So if you could attach a photo of it so I can give more exact answer.

Cyst does not cause pain if is not infected. Only a soft, painless bump should be present.
Ingrown hair usually appears in the coccyx area, causes a lump with small hole in the surface of it. When such ingrown hair will get infected, an abscess will appear.
Abscess gives painful, hard and sensitive to touch lump, the skin in its area is red and can be swollen.
Other possible reason of a lump in the groin is inguinal hernia. It gives movable, more visible when coughing lump which can be painful.

Abscess and cyst should be drained and this is the best treatment for such lesion. Ingrown hair should be removed otherwise, it will recur.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Bump under skin in groin area. What could it be? 1 hour later
I didn't bother sending a pic because you can't see anything really just a little red...but from what u explained I'm positive now it must be another abscess. I don't understand why I keep getting these. I am scared to death to go to the dr I refuse to have it drained again that was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. Can you tell me what type of dr to go to and what my options are and if I'm supposed to be asleep for this surgery? Thank u
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later
Abscess can appear due to ingrown hair (like you have mentioned before). Diabetes also makes us prone to abscesses. So it is good idea to check blood sugar level.
With an abscess, general surgeon should be visited. If it is large abscess, sedation with sleeping gives the best comfort of treatment, however minor abscesses can be incised with local anesthesia.

Hope this will help.