Bulging disc in lumbar spine, pulsating feeling in abdomen and shortness of breath. Any advice?

Hi, I've been havin a pulsating feeling in my abdomen and flutter like feelings that radiate into my back, and tops of legs. I've been told I've a bulging disc in my lumbar spine and have been having nerve pain for about 6 weeks - would these flutters be associated with the nerve pain do you think. I
can also feel my heart beating harder more so than normal and my chest feels tight and heavy leading to shortness of breath. (Pulse is normal though and I do have asthma)
I have consulted my GP with no help as she seems to diagnose everything as anxiety.
I also have swollen glands in my neck that sometimes cause pain at the right side and i can feel my pulse pulsating quite prominantly
and lower abdominal discomfort like premenstral cramping, slightly distended and feelin full (nauseated at times). Generally feeling abit rubbish and GP left me none the wiser. This has been ongoing for two weeks and is constant doesn't really ease any at all
Any advice or opinions would be very grateful.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Its possible and its a matter of the innervation of the abdominal wall. You have a feeling because the sensitive areas on the walls called dermatomes overlapp, and you can have a pain from an area, which really does not originate from there.A lumbar disc herniation will require proper management depending on the case. Medical treatment with oral medication is advocated for the started, but if pain increases, injections of steroids into the area could be done. When resists these injections, it is an indication for surgery. It would be worthwhile having an idea of your weight. In obese, reducing weight on its own usually decreases symptoms. I think the pain you feel to the back and flutter like symptoms should be more related to the neurological compression with referred pain, rather than an intraabdominal problem.
Anxiety could produce symptoms ranging from minor to severe ones like breathing difficulties. Its true that other causes of breathlessness should be excluded first like asthma, chest infections and cardiac problems before attributing it to anxiety, but it remains a clear and possible cause of breathing difficulties. It would be interesting to know if your asthma is well controlled or not, and if the breathing difficulties are not controlled by the normal sprays used by asthmatics or with asthma medication, revaluation for the asthma therapy should be done, or other causes of breathlessness should be considered in the evaluation process.
swollen neck glands deserve evaluation to exclude a locoregional infections and in some cases, some tumours. I suggest you might need a chest X XXXXXXX and CT scans of the area with masses. This shall however be guided by the clinical evaluation of, preferably an internist. Lower abdominal pain, feeling of being nauseated, a pain irradiating to the back are suggestive of peptic ulcer disease or gastritis. Stress on its own could be an aggravating factor. Depending on other clinical characteristics of the pain as shall be guided by the physical examination, the necessity of an abdominal scan, urine examinations, stool exams and cultures and a pregnancy test if need be, shall be options to be investigated.
I humbly suggest you book an appointment with an internist for a complete evaluation and management.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Bulging disc in lumbar spine, pulsating feeling in abdomen and shortness of breath. Any advice? 13 hours later
bp 119/50 p70
HPT = negative
weight 10st3
height 5ft6
recently seen a chiropractor and all theses symptoms seem to have elevated since
i seldom take my salbutomol inhaler as not normally needed also take alvesco inhaler
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the update,
Its therefore very necessary for you, in humble opinion, you consulted by an internist.
I hope and belief it shall be of immense help to you. Wishing you good health,
Thanks and best regards.
Luchuo, MD.