Bruise, swelling, numbness in the knee. X-ray normal. Numbness persists. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell directly on my right knee onto a XXXXXXX path about 6 months ago. It had bruising, swelling and numbness in areas, within hours. After a month or so, it seemed to finally heal. However, it started bothering me again a few weeks ago. It became fairly painful and was making a loud clicking noise when I extended my leg, so I saw a PA. The x-ray was normal, and the pain got much better after resting it for a couple of days. The main thing that is concerning me at this point is that he said that my right thigh muscle has atrophied because I've been favoring the other leg. Since then, I have been consciously trying to not let my right leg lag going upstairs, etc. Also, my knee cap still has numb areas. I'm assuming that the fall damaged some nerves and that I'll just have to get used to it.

I exercise daily and have 3 small children to keep up with. Can I safely continue my own "therapy" on my right leg to strengthen the thigh muscle, or should I go back and ask for more direction.

I don't think anything serious is happening, but I don't want to risk having problems in the future.

Thank you

Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
From your description it seems that you are having a mild post traumatic arthritis which is causing the pain and clicking noise in the knee now. Mild pain killers like ibuprofen and hot fomentation will take care of these symptoms. Oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin will be helpful in the long run.
Regarding the mild thinning of your right leg, you need to consult your physiotherapist for specific exercises which will help you in a better way. Calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist. Once you get the appropriate directions, you can continue doing the required exercises at home.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Bruise, swelling, numbness in the knee. X-ray normal. Numbness persists. Advise? 36 hours later
Thank you. Can I expect the numbness to eventually go away?

Sounds like I can keep on with regular exercise without damage, so safe to cancel appt. with orthopedist? I don't want to go unless it's really necessary.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes, the numbness will improve with time. You can add methylcobalamin supplements and Vitamin B complex supplements for an early recovery.
You can avoid consulting an orthopedist for now and continue with the exercises you are already doing.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.