Bruise on knee after fall, cannot dance without pin, no pain to bend or kneel on it.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell on both knees bowling...rt. one ok..left has no swelling...bruise next to lower inner side of knee cap where pain is as I stand and put pressure on pain to bend or kneel on it. . Several months ago fell on same knee had sever pain but immediately subsided and had no problem walking but could not do dancing such as "Jazzercize"...knee would start to hurt...other than that no pain at all...I'm 64 yrs. old and quite active
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 6 hours later

First of all I think that there might be no association of the two traumatic events with your current problem. Though they might have began the ordeal I think they were relatively minor trauma. Like you said, if only left knee had problem that too no swelling or severe pain, then it was nothing.

Now, if you have trouble doing certain exercises that involve complex moves, I would suggest you get it examined first and ascertain your ligaments are intact. If they are ok, then check meniscus tears or cartilage thining. If they all are normal then you have absolutely nothing to worry. And if one of these are positive then treat it accordingly.

I'm thrilled to read that you are very much active at this age and we intend to keep it that way. So follow these simple steps till you get an appointment with your orthopaedician-
1. Avoid climbing stairs,
2. Do not bend knee more than 90 degrees,
3. Avoid squating position for any required activity,
4. Use a knee cap or knee brace for added support,
5. Avoid unacustomed work involving knees for few days.

Take antiinflammatory medicines under your orthopaedicians guidance and let it heal completely before you begin your 'jazzercise'.

Hope you recover soon. If you need more help, I'm available for follow up.

Good luck.

Follow-up: Bruise on knee after fall, cannot dance without pin, no pain to bend or kneel on it. 17 hours later
ibprofen helps with pain...will I cause further damage not knowing painful effect of movement on this med.? Also, if all is well what would be the approx. time of healing? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 5 hours later

Thank you for the follow up.

Ibuprofen certainly helps in subsiding the inflammation and subsequent pain, but should not be taken over long period. And it most certainly wont let you realise the ill effects of certain activities on your knee.

If none of the aforesaid conditions are active then it should take not more than a period of 3-6 weeks to have complete healing. If it does not then have it examined and investigated at earliest.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to ask me about any doubts you might have.

Wishing you trouble free recovery.