Brown indent appeared on cheek. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I have an indentation on my right cheek that look brownish. It is not painful butt it just started about 6 months ago and it keeps getting bigger. Any suggestions would a great start. I am 66 female and the rest of my body seems to aging at. An expected Pace. Please help.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 2 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic.

I think that this is not a major problem.
At the old age,subcutaneous fat density tends to decrease.
As a result some person develops indentation at the cheek.
Usually it is bilateral but may be unilateral also.

The another things you concerned is the bluish coloration of the skin.
Due to subcutaneous fat loss & increased friability of the cutaneous blood vessel wall it may causes benign subcutaneous bleeding.
It is not harmfull.
So do not concerned about the problem otherwise no problem arises.

Please write if you have another query.
Follow-up: Brown indent appeared on cheek. Any ideas what could be causing this? 13 hours later
I do not like the way this looks. I otherwise look young for my age. What treatment is available to correct the appearance of this problem and how long would the treatment last?
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 6 hours later
Thank you for your follow up question.

I am so happy to know that you are look young for your age.

If the indent brown spot is bothering you, do not worry. It can be corrected. Pigmentation can be rectified with use of depigmentation cream containing hydroquinone along with a good sunscreens (with SPF above 30) and moisturizer. Chemical peels can be tried if topical applicants do not help.
Indentation on the other hand can be rectified with dermabrasion. Larger ones can be rectified with dermal fillers.

Please visit a qualified dermatologist and discuss about these options.

That being said, other dermatological conditions such as superficial fungal infection, actinic keratosis or some local skin disorder can also produce lesions matching your description. There are many treatment option for these disorder. The picture sent seems to be wrong one.

Therefore you will definitely benefit with a few visits to your dermatologist.

Hope this information is useful. Please write if you have another query.