Broke fibula malleolus, been in cast and air boot. Noticed lump on inside knee and stiff ankles. Normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, my name is XXXXXXX I broke my fibula malleolus on 23 of may, I been in cast, and final in a air boot. I noticed there are a lump on inside of my knee, well my ankles they dont look exactly the same! still a lot of stifeness and pain when i do my excises. Is this normal? and how it takes to my ankles will look the same? and how longs it takes to be full operational, with pain free..Thank you and regards, XXXXXXX ..
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There can be swelling or displacement of fibula

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence.

1. Fibula malleolus fracture treated with plaster cast may have chances of malunion, so I will advise to take a new x-ray and should look for union and any malalingment.In some patient there can be persistent soft tissue swelling which can lead to altered morphology of your ankle. Swelling can be reduced by proper physiotherapy.
2. Fibular malleolus fracture is an intra-articular [inside joint] fracture, which commonly give post plaster stiffness. A good assisted and active physiotherapy will help to reduce stiffness .Aided device like ultrasound, CPM machine will help you more.
3. If there is no bony malunion your ankle will soon become same as swelling reduces.
4. Usually after lower limb fracture which is intra-articular 5 to 6 months are required to be fully functional and pain free.
5. About your knee swelling, MRI scan will help in diagnosing cause of swelling.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Broke fibula malleolus, been in cast and air boot. Noticed lump on inside knee and stiff ankles. Normal? 24 hours later
Thank you for your answer....I went to do some physio today, and he said to me, not to worried, evrything going to be fine. Usualy all saying that, this is work related, and what they want is take me back, i XXXXXXX t mind that, but i want to be fine, i want to my ankles to look the same, and without pain...he said there was no malunion, i,m still not happy that bones on the knee they look the same shape. i wish you could see the X rays.....Or i worrying to much? Regards.. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That's good as no malunion.

Detailed Answer:

If your physiotherapist says its not malunion,you can relax and do continue physiotherapy course.
Let union occur completely and you focus on regaining joint movement.

I will be glad to look at the X-rays. If you have them with you now, you can upload them on this page using the site's uploader.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Broke fibula malleolus, been in cast and air boot. Noticed lump on inside knee and stiff ankles. Normal? 3 hours later
Hi, again, I dont know to up load the X rays, but i can send you the full report to my doctor,from SKG,the x rays Company, and says: LEFT LOWER LEG AND ANKLE RADIOGRAPHS........Findings: comparision is with the previous examination from 24.05.13. Today, there has been satisfactory progress of bony healing. The fracture lucencies are barely visible indicating that there is trabecular bridgig.Aligment is unchanged from previously. The ankle mortice joint is preserved. A plantar calcaneal spur is noted. There is no evidence of an ankle joint effusion. No acute bony erosive or destructive process is seen.......Ok that,s what is written on the last X XXXXXXX taken on 16.08.13.....Is anything that i need to be worried, or can be done, in any other way.......Regards.... XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thats good

Detailed Answer:

Your x XXXXXXX report shows fracture healing in progress,no need to worry just continue physio and exercises.