Broke an arm, twisted and fractured. Proximal part of the diaphysis snapped off . Try bone remodeling?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
When my son was six years old, he broke an elevated fall with his right arm. He twisted and fractured his arm. He was treated by a pediatric orthopedist who showed me the x-ray. Basically, he explained in non-medical jargon, you son broke the stick part of his arm from the ball part. He may have used other language at the time, but seeing that I did not understand what he was saying, he simplified it. The head of the humerus was still in the socket, but the proximal part of the diaphysis was snapped off of it. Two extreme and opposite sides of the bones were still touching each other. Dr. said it did not need surgery, that if we immobilized it, one overhanging side of bone would dissolve, and the opposite underhanging part of the bone would fill in. He was right!!! Every few weeks we showed up for an xray and watched this marvelous healing work. The problem is, now I am taking anatomy for nursing school. Today we were discussing bone remodeling and I told my class and professor about what happened to my son's arm. He didn't believe me!!! Is there a name for this type of fracture healing? I have spent the last hour trying to find an example of it on the internet and have been unsuccessful. A site that showed the healing xrays would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Your orthopedist did an excellent job by immobilizing your son's arm. The type of healing that took place in your son's arm is called bone remodelling.
Your son most likely had a surgical neck fracture of humerus. You can see the pictures of remodelling of bone in any standard text book of Orthopedics like Appley's Orthopedics.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.