Breathing through left nostril shallower than right nostril, more phlegm in left nostril, breathing through mouth at night. Steps to rectify this?

Breathing through my left nostril is by far shallower than through the right. I also notice that the same left nostril produces more phlegm. I unconsciously breathe through my mouth at night and snore. I believe that all these are inter-connected. What simple, practical steps can I take to rectify them?
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 38 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I will tell you some natural home remedies to you
Take a shower, go and have a hot drink or a cup of chicken soup, breathing in steam is by far the easiest way to cut down the amount of mucus you produce, also it will compress your congestion.

Another way is to place a warm wet-towel on the upper half of your face including the forehead, lean on your back for three to five minutes, do this two to three times daily.
Have some hot and spicy foods and it will create a reflex response to make your nose runny, the results are immediate, this running removes irritants that is causing the stuffiness, and will also help break up congestion. Although if you don't think you can withstand hot chilli peppers, don't bother trying.

you shouldn't have alcohol as “any sorts of artificial beverages can contribute to your congestion”. The substances in fermented alcoholic drinks can thicken the amount of mucus you produce.

Use saline nasal sprays.

Avoid certain mucus producing fruits like oranges,kiwis,avocados etc.

Try using some eucalyptus oil in the steam inhalation.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck.