Breast cancer, blister growth in breast, drainage, hemangioma

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...I am a 4 time survivor of breast cancer. My nine month old grand-daughter was born with a small blister like growth on her breast. Her pediatrician said it was nothing. Today she had a check-up,the ped. says she doesn't like how the growth feels(it is hard,but there is nothing behind it or under the breast) She is sending my grand-daughter to Mott Children's Hospital tomorrow morning to see a pediatric surgeon.The doctor says the surgeon will probably XXXXXXX it and drain it. I am so scared it is going to be cancerous,because of my history. Can you please tell me if you have ever heward of this and your opinion of what it might be? Thank-you so much. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Cancers in Children
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 53 minutes later

Sometimes children can be born with benign and localized skin changes. If as you say she was born with this and its size has not changed in a major way over the last 9 months I am inclined to think it may be a benign cyst. If it has a reddish color to it, it could be what we call a hemangioma.

I cannot think of any genetic association with breast cancers which would lead to a pediatric malignancy, so please rest assured that this is not the case. I am glad you will be getting a definitive answer soon as the surgeon can thoroughly examine her as well as her skin and if a biopsy or procedure is necessary, the pathologist can confirm my suspicion that this is a benign skin change.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: Breast cancer, blister growth in breast, drainage, hemangioma 48 minutes later
Thank-you so much!!! I am so relieved!!!!
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later

It is my pleasure. I wish you all the best and continued excellent health.