Brain MRI. frequent headches, flair hyperintense foci, ischemic foci. Meaning?

I got my Husband's Brain MRI done yesterday because he used to have frequent Headaches, very severe ( after doctor's advise only) and some other routine tests as well. now the MRI reports says all is normal but " T2/flair hyperintense foci in right frontal white matter like ischemic foci" is seen". what does it show? he is 44 years and with 6 feet height. Weight is around 90 kg.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

A hyperintense focus in the right frontal lobe in the white matter is a common finding seen on MRI. Hyperintense means there is a "spot" of increased signal on the imaging.

These white matter lesions appear mostly to be the result of microvascular disease which is seen in normal aging (40"s +), migraines, hypertension, and possibly some of the clotting disorders which can result in tiny, ministroke events, (eg. Huges Syndrome)

There is nothing to worry. It is just an age related change. Still it is best to exclude high blood pressure and clotting disorders.

There is a need to watch on the weight and the diet. High fibre, low fat diet is very important at this stage.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Brain MRI. frequent headches, flair hyperintense foci, ischemic foci. Meaning? 53 minutes later
Thanks a ton, doctor.

But I would like to know :

How would I exclude clotting disorder? is there any tests for it?

Should he take any pain killers for his headaches?

He is workholic and does not take adequate sleep. He is very energetic and family man but work is everything for him.

Should I show his reports to Neurologist here ? I am bit worried as I have noone except him. Please advise?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
To exclude a clotting disorder, you can get his coagulation profile done including PT, APTT, INR, etc.
A poor sleep cycle can obviously aggravate the problem. He has to make some lifestyle changes to suit to his health needs. You should be able to convince him about this.
Mild pain killers will relieve his headache but it is good to consult a neurologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Wish him a trouble free speedy recovery.