Bowel movements are light brown hard pieces. Have diabetics and liver cirrhosis. History of constipation. Suggestions?

My bowl movements are light brown hard pieceswith a carmel colored jelled like substance interlaced. I am 65, female, and have diabetes and cirrhosis of the liver. What is this? I had 2 colonoscopies in XXXXXXX and July of this year. They came out OK. I currently have a tiny cyst on my left kidney and a tiny mass on my right adrenal gland. I have a history of constipation. My father passed away from colon caner at age 53.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have one stool DR.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting us.
This is good to know that your recent colonoscopies are normal. I think the best way to sort this out is to have one stool DR ( Stool detailed report). This is a lab test, in which you submit your stool sample for detailed lab testing in a container provided by the lab. Result will tell you the truth about this jelly & the probable diagnosis can then be judged.
Hope I have given you the desired response.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Bowel movements are light brown hard pieces. Have diabetics and liver cirrhosis. History of constipation. Suggestions? 8 hours later
Thank you for your response. My follow-up question is: Have you heard of this
happening before? Are you familiar with this symptom? What would cause this?
Will you speculate on what it might be so that I will become aware of the seriousness of this matter?
Thank you.

Another question
re: my follow-up question. Would this be because I ate raisons and other dried fruit? I am wondering why it takes 7-8 hours for a response?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some probable causes of this sign.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question & very sorry for a late reply.
I don't think this could have a relation to your dietary intake of raisins & dry fruits, especially if you are experiencing this repeatedly. A single episode can be blamed to some dietary cause. Anyway, better to get it confirmed.
Jelly like substance is the mucous, which is produced in lower gastrointestinal tract & brown or caramel color may indicate an upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding. This part of the bowel is not seen during colonoscopy, which is a lower gastrointestinal investigation.
Cause of this bleeding may vary from an inflammation, infection, ulceration or very rarely a neoplasm of upper gastrointestinal tract. Chronic constipation may rarely be a cause.
This certainly needs confirmation by lab report.
Once your stool DR report is ready & there is lab evidence of old blood in stool, you need to see a physician, preferably a gastroenterologist for expert opinion & further treatment.
Wish you best of luck.