Bowel movement after chewing tobacco, loose stools, blood in stools. Do I have hemorrhoids?

I chew tobacco 3-5 times daily. I don't swallow. My concern is that once I start chewing I have an urge to have a bowel movement. My stool is usually loose and I rarely have to strain, but lately I have bright red blood in my stool almost every time I have a bowel movement. I have tried using Metamucil and such to increase my fiber is case the blood was related to a low fiber diet. It doesn't seem to ease my symptoms. I do not usually have itching or pain related to my anus. I may have hemorrhoidal systems sometimes, but lately I just seem to have blood in the stool on a normal day to day basis. Is the bowel irratibility due to the chewing tobacco, may I have external hemorrhoids and sometimes XXXXXXX hemorrhoids? I did quit chewing for awhile and along with the fiber supplement it seemed to help, but once in awhile I'd still have bleeding.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Tobacco chewing usually causes irritation of the oral mucosa and is not likely to cause a XXXXXXX bleeding in the stools. The improvement of symptoms with a high fiber diet may be suggestive of its association with hemorrhoids. Generally XXXXXXX red blood can appear if the problem is at the distal end like distal colon, the rectum or anus. The other causes can be higher if the blood leak is more than the digestible amount. In such a case the color of the stool is black tarry stool.

Passing blood in the stools can be due to-
1. Anal fissures- I feel this is most likely. An anal fissure is a crack or tear in the skin of the anal canal. Anal fissures may cause severe periodic pain after defecation but with chronic fissures pain intensity is often less. Hemorrhoids are likely associated.
2. Diverticulosis- Diverticulosis is formation of pouches in the lining of the large intestinal epithelium, due to the weakened areas.
3. Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medication.
4.Crohn's Disease or UC- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in your intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyps, etc.
You need to consult your gastroenterologist for further investigations like colonoscopy and proper treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.