Bottom lip swelling, inserted styril syringe, pus and blood discharge, painful, white spot on tongue. What is it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Yesterday night I noticed a swelling on my botto Lip. It was not painful at the time. It felt as if it had no feeling at all to the touch. I decided to reduce swelling by insertion.g a styril syringe into the swollen area which at the time time.did appear to be showin signs of puss. After inserting the needle and squeezing the area only a small amount of.puss.came.out. followed by lots of blood. I rinsed mouth with hydrogen poroxide(the liquid in the brown bottles?), ran salt over where I had placed the needle (tip given to me by an army medic) and rinsed before bed with mouthwash in mouth. Woke up today and the swollen area seemed.smaller but now.hurt... I also noticed the side of my tongue had a white spot and was soar around that area. Not sure what it is and curious of your thoughts on both the swelling (which I assume to be a blister) and the tongue
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
I have seen the picture attached with the query. It seems that you have developed an aphthous ulcer in response to the infection.
The symptoms usually resolve with fluid intake, good oral hygiene and gentle debridement of the area. Use chlorhexidine mouth wash and avoid acid drinks, like fruit juices or fizzy drinks, or drink them through a straw so they don't irritate your mouth. Also avoid spicy food and sharp food and citrus fuits.

You can use topical ointments like numbing ointments, such as benzocaine (Oragel), anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash, oral preparations of vitamin supplement. Oral pain killers like Ibuprofen also help. But all these medicines are available under prescription and should be taken under a doctor’s guidance. In case the purulent discharge is persistent then a systemic broad spectrum antibiotic is also recommended.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.