Ask a Dentist   »  

Bony hard bump on gums on left side. What is this ?

Dentist, Pedodontics
I noticed a bony hard bump on my gums, down by the bottom of the teeth on the tounge side. It does not hurt, it is same color as gums. It does not move and is very hard like bone. It is only on left side. I did go to the dentist very recently and had a panoramic x XXXXXXX done and all the bitewing ext. exrays done. The dentist did not say anyting about this bony bump.
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 14 hours later

If you have no other dental problem (that is a carious tooth in relation to the swelling that you mentioned) then it seem your lesion is "toros mandibularis". It is a harmless bony overgrowth commonly seen in the lingual (tongue) side of the lower jaw or in the centre of the palate.

Generally it is bilateral i.e. seen both side of the lower jaw, but it could be one sided also. You have to do a lower occlusal X XXXXXXX and that will confirm the diagnosis.

It does not need any kind of treatment until the size bothers so much. The only treatment is surgical removal of the bony extension. If the lower occlusal X- XXXXXXX has been done can you upload the scanned images here; I can have a closer look and confirm the possibility.

Hope your query is answered.

Follow-up: Bony hard bump on gums on left side. What is this ? 9 hours later
I do not have an xray.... I do have the same type of "growth" on the upper gums on the lip side, above the molars. They are more long then the one below. I have had that for awhile and the dentists have never said anything about them. The panoramic Xray showed my jaw was not the same on both sides. The dentis thought possible TMJ. Could this be the cause of the bone growth? I do not have pain with any of the TMJ or the bony growth. I was just worried about cancer.
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 2 hours later

The same type of bony growth, that I had described, when seen in multiple places it is called "exostosis". These are also harmless like "toros". And this kind of bony swelling has no relation with TMJ problem, if you have any. I repeat, Panoramic X-ray cannot confirm the diagnosis of Toros or exostosis. You have to have an occlusal x- XXXXXXX to confirm it. If you are able to send me a photograph of your front(lip side) swelling and copy of an upper or lower occlusal x-ray, I can more accurately diagnose your problem. What I have assumed from your history, from that I can say that your lesion is not cancerous.Though you have to visit a local oncologist for further confirmation. for general information about such lesions. You can visit to WWW.WWWW.WW

Hope I have answered your query.