Bones removed on lower jaw, flesh has covered jaw bone. What is the problem with this painful jaw?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Nine weeks ago I had bones removed on lower side of jaw's, I am 82 years old; this is the only place near -that would do the service. One week later two bones were removed on each side at Memoral Hermom Hospital again. First day of operation we were told that they removed dead jaw bone. The exposed jaw bones were not near the Bone XXXXXXX that I have; it was more to the back under my tongue. The flesh has now covered the jaw bone. What is the problam with this painful jaw? Yes I am 82 but I need to know. Children said, '' this is over; ' I can not understand, why this was so bad? I never smoked or drinked in my life. Please give me some Info, My regular Dentis will not clean or fix a filling that has fell out. I Thank you,Laura
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
From the description provided it seems that you have suffered from osteonecrosis of jaw. It is usually caused by some drugs like bisphosphonates, external estrogens, etc which increase the coagulability of blood thus blocking the arterial supply of the jaw bones.
Exposure to heavy metals like lead, cadmium, and toxins like acetaldehyde may also cause this. The exact cause is difficult to identify in many cases.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.