Bone spurs, stiffness, pain. What can I do to slow the progression of this serious problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 48 years old and (through x rays I discovered) the disks in my neck and lower back are very warn, causing "bone spurs", reducing hight, flexibility and causing constant stiffness pain. I was very active in younger years, am not over weight, and are (moderately) physically fit. What can I do to slow the progression of this serious problem?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The changes in your spine and development of bony spurs are mainly age related degenerative changes of the spine.
While there is no definite medication or treatment to decrease the progression of these changes, in addition to the medications for symptomatic treatment, you will have to change your lifestyle for excellent results. Vitamin D deficiency can aggravate the condition. Basic balanced nutrition and exercises are must for a trouble free life. Posture modifications can be adopted by speaking to experts which can help to continue your day to day activities.
Regular physiotherapy is advised for slowing the progression of disease.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.