Bone shifting, swelling and deforming everywhere. Done blood test for lupus, RA. Chances of having autoimmune disease?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have arthritis. I went to a rhumatologist yesterday and she had me get a blood test for Lupus, Rhumatoid arthritis, vitamin D. Deficiency and possible an auto immune disorder. I have bone shifting, swelling and deforming everywhere even in my mouth. From head to toe. It's so painful and it looks horrible. I know my body very well and I have modeled my whole life. I was the top bathing suit and sports wear model in Hawaii and Japan. So I must admit I pride myself on looking well, to say the least. Modesty is not one of my strong suits. lOL! I also have bone spurs and loss of spinal fluid. My C5 and C6 are really bad. I also have a torn rotated cuff and a pinched nerve. The shoulder injury is what kept me form boarding the plane back to Maui. The pain was so severe that I had to fly my mother here to help me because I couldn't even pick up my purse from the pain. While I was first injured I became ill. Flu like simptoms. Blurry vision, dizzy, vertigo, nausea, vomiting. Chills, hot and cold. Sweating, and having body Oder. I never have B.O. Even after a hard workout like crossfit. it's been so long now that my muscles have weakened so that I think that atrophy has occurred. So depression also has set in as well. I am used to being so active and healthy that this state that I am in has taken quite an emotional toll on me despite the physical. I can't even do a downward dog, not just due to the pain but the weakness as well. I also have P.T.S.D. From events prior in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I have had insomnia do to it all, and the stress has been overwhelming. i have also been losing my hair at an alarming rate. Not an average rate of aproximatly 100 hairs a day. So much that I had to cut my hair. It has always been long. To the bottom of my lower back. Now it is thin, you can even see my scalp. All of a suddon I have grey hair comming in as well. "(it's aweful)" I also have a skin rash. And body hair loss. "itt's crazy!" it wipes off! Even the coarse hair! Then grows back! Even if I rub my deodorant on too hard. my teeth have weakened as well, to the point of chipping while flossing. My gums have receded also. If my mother weren't here with me to witness it. I wouldn't believe it myself. I have a lot more to add to this unfortunately. I just need to continue later due to the horrible pain and anxiety I have right now. Thank you doctor. I look forward to hear back from you. Mahalo and Aloha. Sincerely XXXX
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

After going through your elaborate and extensive description, I am of the opinion that you are suffering from FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROME.

It’s a PSYCHOSOMATIC ILLNESS. The term psychosomatic to mean something imagined, when the truth is entirely different.

This condition needs a MULTIMODAL APPROACH of management.

The general guidelines for managing this condition is as follows -

* Get rid of the negative thoughts in your head.

* Get rid of the stress in your life (as much as possible).

* Get physically healthy.

* Get mentally healthy.

* Begin to safely reduce the amount of narcotic pain medications if you’ve been taking them.

*Understand the current thinking regarding fibromyalgia, participate in your own recovery, and partner with a fibromyalgia specialist.

* Expect success – visualize it

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any more clarifications.