Body aches, chill and sweaty very often. Taken a meningitis preventative shot. Had a chest thoracic. What should I do?

Hello Sir,

I asked another doctor (Internist) and he suggested I might see an oncologist if my symptoms persist. I wanted to get your opinion on that and if it sounds like my symptoms may be related to some kind of bad cancer.

I am 34 years of age and about 3 weeks ago I started feeling flu like symptoms. My only symptoms are body aches, chilled feeling and get sweaty more often. I check my temperature on a daily basis and I never run anything higher then a 98.0

I went to my meningitis preventative shot because I needed it and he ran a CBC w/diff and a mono spot and he said those all came back normal. He also ran a TSH test and that result came back as a 1.45 normal and he did a Sedimentation Rate- Westergren test and that test came back normal he said and the value was a 9 on a Relevant Scale of 0-15.

Three to four weeks prior to all of these symptoms I had a peripheral blood smear done for something totally unrelated. Those test results were normal as well and a normal/ unremarkable Morphology.

Totally unrelated to that in the last 3-4 months I have had a Chest Thoracic and a Abdominal Cat scan and those were normal as well. Well on the Chest CT they found two pleural based nodules on the lower lobes of my lungs. One was 2mm and the other was 4mm.

One last thing I forgot about the doc also did a rapid Uni-Gold Recombigen™ HIV test and that came back as negative. I had unproductive sex about 6 months ago so I asked for that test .

Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 38 minutes later

It is true that persistent body aches, chills and night sweats may herald the onset of cancer, especially lymphoma. But you never really had any fever, which will go against cancer.

Also I see that the reports done so far are all normal. The bloods are perfectly fine! Though you have mentioned about two nodules on CAT scan, they are quite tiny and may be normal. Do you have any history of smoking?

I think you need to be under close follow up before any further workup. if there is any weight loss, documented fever or other new symptoms then further tests may be done (which may be directed to new symptoms, if any). However, if only these symptoms persist it is unlikely to be cancer. Still, a positron emission tomography scan (PET) may be done in that scenario.

All said and done, I reiterate that in all probability it is not a serious disease.

I will be available to answer further follow-up queries.
Best wishes.
Follow-up: Body aches, chill and sweaty very often. Taken a meningitis preventative shot. Had a chest thoracic. What should I do? 1 hour later
Well i am losing weight because i am worrying. It is affecting my appetite.

I seem to be sweating a lot on my hands and feet.

You are right as i have not had a fever as i check it everyday and the doctor checked it. When i was at my doc appt he asked if i was sweating at night. I wasnt. He felt my neck, spleen and liver and he said all felt fine.

The doctor ordered the sedimentation rate test because he said this would show some hidden infection, cancer, inflammation if it was there. Is that true?

Could this be just some ongoing virus? He also suggested to possibility of doing a cortisol test and XXXXXXX panel?

Over the last year i have had Ct brain, Ct thoracic, Ct abdomen pelvis urogram and all checked out normal.

I have never smoked a day in my life.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 11 hours later
Hi again,

It is good that you have not smoked ever.

The sedimentation rate can suggest hidden infection or even some malignanices but that was totally normal. Overall, I can say that chances of having a malignancy are minimal.

You can follow your internist's advice regarding further workup of bodyaches and chills.

Follow-up: Body aches, chill and sweaty very often. Taken a meningitis preventative shot. Had a chest thoracic. What should I do? 23 hours later
So you are saying from my symptoms alone does not warrant a visit to an oncologist?

Any other test you would recommend? XXXXXXX panel or cortisol levels? I have read these can trigger similar symptoms.

I am NOT running a fever- just tired, achy, chilled feeling and getting some headaches.

If it is a virus, I have never had one last this long and not aware how long a virus can last.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
I don't think it is a viral infection and I also don't see a need to consult an oncologist right now.
XXXXXXX and cortisol may certainly be done. Your internist may also like to exclude chronic sinusitis and even diabetes.