Blue vein on the face of the child, had swollen node and cough. Is the blue vein normal?

a few days ago i noticed a blue vein or vessel on the side of my toddlers face... coming down the cheek and running to the jawline. when i looked later, it seemed to be gone. Since then I have noticed it a couple of times and it seems to disappear when i look later in the day.

I seen the ped today because my toddler had a swollen node and he said the node was probably swollen from a fly bite or something and it was normal. I also asked him about the blue vein (which didn't appear to be visable at that time and he just shook his his head and said that it is nothing . Not sure if he was really listening to me.

My question this normal? i can't remember ever seeing the vein there before a few days ago.

He also had a cough for the last week..i was wondering if this could be from that (coughing a lot during the night)
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided with good information regarding your baby's skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

It is common to have such visible veins in toddlers and they do become prominent if one has fair complexion.
Also that when ones cries or coughs a lot these veins become more prominent.

Since they are very temporary there is nothing to be worried about.

As a mother I can understand your concern.

You can also consider consulting a dermatologist at your place in case you observe a persisting red or a blue patch over the area.

Otherwise I feel your baby is absolutely normal.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: Blue vein on the face of the child, had swollen node and cough. Is the blue vein normal? 3 days later
Thank you for answering. I noticed some red spots over his cheek today. Maybe 10. Is this the red patch you were talking about? How long do you consider persisting? weeks? forever?

I will show my family doctor today. I am worried b/c it could be some time before I get to see the ped or derm because I have to wait for referral and appointment again.

To the Doctor or anyone that is reading...seen the doctor today and oddly the red spots disappeared quite awhile before I went there so he thinks this is normal as well. Hopefully he is right.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 5 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

It would be very difficult for me to come to a conclusion regarding the cause, as I have not seen the lesion. Physical examination is mandatory in such cases for the correct diagnosis.

But, One thing I would like to reassure is, this is not a life threatening condition.

Please go ahead with consultation with your Dermatologist as you have planned already.

I hope, this answers your query.

Wish you and your child a good health.