Ask a Dentist   »  

Blue-black discoloration and enlarged veins under tongue, swollen and sore tongue. Taken Amoxicillin for UTI. Concerned

I have 6 day history of sore upper throat (only when swallowing), sore back and sides of tongue (even when not swallowing) , and occasional dry cough. Today I noticed blueish black discolouration under both sides of tongue as well as enlarged veins under tongue. Tongue is only slightly swollen but feeling sorer. No fever but had bad urti 2 weeks ago - treated with amoxycillin. Recovered for few days before onset of these symptoms. About to go on 7 day cruise and concerned if I should see doctor before leaving.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The irritation in the throat could be due to minute ulcers or erosions in the pharyngeal mucosa.This happens most of times post viral infection and also after antibiotic therapy.

There is no need to worry.Do gargle with Antispetic solution like CHLORHEXIDINE twice daily after food for three days .This will halt or prevent any infection in the vulnerable pharyngeal mucosa.

Also do take Multivitamin supplements , this will maintain good health in the mucous membrane and help in healing the erosions.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health and a happy journey.