Blood work showed white blood cell count -14,000. Is this due to leukemia or fungal infection?

Hi, i had blood work done and my white blood cell count is 14,000 so my doctor put me on antibiotics and then i am having another blood test done.. Does that mean that he suspects Leukemia? He didnt say it but im worried.
Could toe nail fungus or gingivitus cause the count to elevate?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

A blood count of 0000 is much more likely to be of infection than leukemia. Gingivitis can cause elevation of white cell count but fungal infection is less likely to cause. I think it is perfectly fine to get the test repeated after a course of antibiotics.

I am sure it will come down.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follow-up queries.