Blood work showed drop in WBC and Haemoglobin. Having dizziness and shortness of breath. What is wrong?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Two sets of blood work here. These tests are done 6 weeks apart. dizziness is in reasing. Drop in WBC and Hemoglobin. Drop in neuts and lymph and rise in mono. High rdw. I get heart palps that almost make me pass out. I see white! I cant catch my breath. What the heck is wrong with me? The photo on right is most recent test.
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to hcam.

Detailed Answer:
First you should do iron levels and feritine to see what kind of anemia is this? anemia can be caused by lack of iron, chronic bleeding, chronic disease, lack of vitamin B or bone marrow disorders.Also temporary anemia is seen after infections ,even minor respiratory. Also you should do liver functional tests to rule out hemolytic anemia.
Secondly, drop in WBC means nothing since it is in normal range. our wbc count changes from day to day depending on our body immune system(which depends on stress, infections, latent infections, nutrition and many other) so this shouldnt concern you.
considering lower MCH and higher RDW it may indicate reduced hemoglobin production and this is seen if there is no enough iron in our body so take some iron supplements and repeat test in 1 month.
Generally, this is very slight Hgb decrease and probbaly isnt indicating any significant disease,but if there is continuing drop in next 2-3 weeks then you should be cocnerned and you need to rule out XXXXXXX bleeding(especially colon and stomach) by endoscopic tests.
But I still think that this is anemia caused by nutritional defficinency(iron and B vitamin) so try with this first. Hgb 118 should not be symptomatic and your heart palps and dizziness should be evaluated by cardiologist(i dont think this is caused by such mild anemia that you have). it can be heart arrithmia, ischemia or other heart disorders. you should do at least ecg and ergometry and then depending on these tests plan further treatment. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Blood work showed drop in WBC and Haemoglobin. Having dizziness and shortness of breath. What is wrong? 12 minutes later
Thankyou for your quick reply :-)
I am waiting on irion and b12 results also hormone results and pelvic ultrasound appointment. Ive had cardiac workup and all tests always come back ok. Echo doppler flow suggested impaired lv relaxation but nothing else. I almost fainted today with palps and i feel hot flashy like i have a fever but i dont.
Been to er 5 times. Im getting a loop recorder
Potassium shows low too, and ive felt really sick for 6 months. I feel like im dying.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Yes,you need loop recorder may have exstrasystoles.
Low potassium can definitely cause heart contractility disorder and arrithmias,but this is also slight drop,but of course you need potassium supplements .
I ve seen that thyroid hormones are normal but check other hormones too such as cortisol, testosterone, insuline and aldosterone as well as carcinoid hormones. Of course there is always possibility of psychosomatic effects too especially if you are under stress recently. If heart function and loop recorder are fine, you need neurologic work up.
Cortisol is fine, a 48 hr holter showed two svt's while i was sleeping around 3am. 3 pvc's and 2 pac's. isolated events no runs or significant pauses. Neurologist is investigating 10 brain lesions and i have a rheumatologist for ankylosing spondylitis.
Ive had chest tightness across my collar bone for 2 months now too. Heart palps since pregnancy 7 years ago. And in the last 3 months ive had alot of bleeding and clotting with my period. I just hit 40 and still i never thought someone could lose so much blood and live! My heart races to 160 bpm under stress and reg active walking hr is 125-140 but resting hr is 50-80 and my heart flipflops when it gets low and i almost pass out.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
well,then excessive bleeding during the period is than obvious cause of your anemia.
you should see with gyn does it require hormonal therapy.
two SVTs isnt something concerning. I think that your anxiety and fear aggravate your symptoms. If there is no verified heart or brain disease then you really dont have to be worried. YOu have to trust these results. Most important thing is to reduce emotional stress and stabilize your periods. Check estrogen and prolactine levels and do ovary ultrasound and consider hormonal therapy for period stabilization. blood picture will improve when heavy bleeding stops.