Blood work done. IGF1 level is high. Is it really high?

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
I am 50 years old and have had recent blood work done. My IGF 1 levels came back at 237. Is this considered real high for my age.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
it is normal

Detailed Answer:
The normal range of IGF 1 in your age lies in range of 121-‚Äč237 ng/mL
so this may be considered in normal range but is on boarderline level

With best wishes from
Dr Chowhan
Follow-up: Blood work done. IGF1 level is high. Is it really high? 47 minutes later
my doctor is telling me it is high and i need to see a endrocrinologist. So you are telling me I have no worries correct?
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 2 days later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi As I had replied to your query I did not have access to your previous medical record besides what is your current problem too I was not aware of .
As you mentioned one value of your lab report that I agree lies on higher side of normal value but more than that regarding whether to consult your Endocrinologist or not is your personal decision as if your Endocrinologist has asked you for a followup visit after availing your lab report you should surely go for follow up and yes your concern can be addressed to your treating doctor. Though as of now your worry should not be too a weighing factor.
Your family physician and treating Endocrinologist are final authorities to plan for your future management as they have complete knowledge about your lingering health problem.
with thanks from
Dr Chowhan