Blood test shows moderate microcytosis and elliptocytes, iron deficiency. Meaning?

my blood test says red cells show moderate microcytosis and moderate numbers of elliptocytes. what does that mean?
and it says my red cells consist with an iron deficiency anaemia
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question,
At the age of 20 years, a peripheral smear of blood showing moderate microcytosis and moderate elliptocytes suggest that you have an iron deficiency anaemia.
Microcytosis means a small size of your red blood cells, and it occurs when there is less amount of iron stores and hence less amount of hemoglobin. Resulting in a smaller size of RBCs.
Similarly eliptocytes and elliptical shape of the RBCs and the RBCs get deforemed cause of reduced amount of hemoglobin again suggesting that there is a deficiency of iron stores in the body.
Its very common among the 20 year old females as you tend to loose blood and iron during the menses. It is not a serious condition but you need to take iron supplement and iron XXXXXXX diet to help in recovering from it.
Hope I am able to help you,
Thanks and regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy