Blood test showed high cholesterol levels

Pulmonologist
Question
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Cholesterol
Follow-up: Blood test showed high cholesterol levels 44 hours later
I actually wrote more on my health history. I had an abnormal ekg last week along with severe chest pains. Also my blood pressure was 145/90 which is high for me. the chest pains I had was more than just indigestion. I went to my doctor and the EKG showed abnormalties. It was normal sinus rythem but it showed an abnormalty going on with my heart, it also showed a very first degree heart block.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

After going through your follow up history, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your blood pressure is in the high normal range. Please take a low salt diet, relax yourself and get your blood pressure measured in a relaxed state by a mercury sphygmomanometer by a physician/ paramedic staff (Please do not used digital bp device for diagnosis of high blood pressure). If still it is high, then you may need to be started on low dose medicines for management of BP. You need to consult your physician regarding this.

2. By ECG abnormalities, if you mean ischemic changes , then you need to evaluate it further with the help of a cardiologist. A treadmill test,serum lipid profile, 2 d echo and angiography may be required depending on the clinical evaluation.

3. Asymptomatic isolated first-degree atrioventricular (AV) heart block requires no treatment, however the treatment of associated conditions is required if they are present.

I hope this answers your query.
Please do let me know if there any follow up queries.
In case there are no follow up queries , please accept my answer.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Blood test showed high cholesterol levels 3 hours later
one more thing I forgot to mention. After my doctor examined My EKG, he put me on a bata blocker and I go to see a cardiac specialist next week. I am still experiencing some chest discomforts with left arm pain and numbness, also my legs hurt a lot, especially at night. This problem usually awakens me late at night.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 15 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

After going through your follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You definitely need to visit the cardiologist for detailed assessment as mentioned above.

2. The propranolol may have been started for your high normal blood pressure and your electrocardiogram abnormalities. Propranolol can be given in 1st degree heart block but not in 2nd or 3rd degree heart block.

3. You need to consult your doctor about starting anti-platelet drugs like ecospirin and clopidogrel, especially considering your chest discomfort.

4. The hurting of your legs especially at night also needs to be evaluated and examined by your doctor. Look for any associated swelling or tenderness in your legs. I would suggest that you should get yourself examined by your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case there are no follow up queries, please accept my answer.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB