Blood test showed high AST and ALT levels. What will be the problem?

My brother just got his first blood test in 10 years and found his AST at 87 and his ALT at 188. He does drink alcohol. how bad is it?
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
triglycerides  are fat molecules which are produced by digestion of food and released in the blood to be taken up by cells as needed for energy. High levels of triglycerides in your blood occur when calories ingested are more than calories expended. Alanine transaminase or ALT is a transaminase enzyme found in the liver. Because ALT enzymes are released by liver cells when the cells are damaged, elevated ALT levels may indicate liver damage. A combination of both elevated ALT and triglycerides may signal several health problems.

The combination of elevated liver enzymes and triglycerides may indicate that the patient has a "fatty liver XXXXXXX Fatty liver may be associated with the early stages of liver disease. 
High GGTP with normal AP is most likely due to alcohol only.
The primary reason for high liver enzymes seems to be due to alcohol only.

Your brother should be seen by  a Gastroenterologist and evaluated properly by doing further tests like ultrasound abdomen,CT abdomen and possibly a liver biopsy,if required.

Persistent high liver enzymes will lead to liver cirrhosis and hence your brother should be persuaded to quit alcohol.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck