Blood test showed globulin level was 3.9. Should I be concerned?

Hello, I had a blood test last week wherein the globulin level was 3.9. The A/G ratio was 1.1 (which is low normal). The reference range indicates that the globulin result should range between 2.0 and 3.5.
Can you tell me what might cause a higher reading. Is this anything to be concerned about?
I looked at a blood test that I had done earlier this year and the globulin was 2.7 and the A/G ratio was 1.5. Could this be a simple infection? How often should I re-test or this this not that signficant. All else was rather within the report.
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some clarifications

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way.

1. Why did you get the test done?
2. Do you have infection at present?
3. Any other medical issues?

Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Regards and wish you good health,

Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Neuro-Psychiatrist and Sexologist
Follow-up: Blood test showed globulin level was 3.9. Should I be concerned? 1 hour later
I have a large fibroid but it does not bother me. It is pedunculated and there is no heavy bleeding or terrible pain. I am premenopausal and do suffer hot flashes. I was told that there was minimal hydrophenosis of the left kidney. However all other kidney markers like bun and creating were normal. I was told to look at the blood work every six months to look at kidney function.

There are no other major issues. I am a little stuffy, there are some allergies, but nothing that I can't cope with. This is why we were looking.

Just curious as to what the elevated number could mean.

I am normal reasonably tall 5'9" weighing about 132.
I was just curious about the significance of the value.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably you need to recheck

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing the details.
Theorotically a raised globulin levels suggest that there is a chronic inflammation going on. It can be anything from a SLE to tuberculosis or many others. Its very non -specific. Moreover your values of Globulin are not excessively high than the normal. I would suggest that you need not bother about it at this stage and if possible in a week or two get it retested. Many times the procedure errors may also show a false positive. Your earlier report done this year was normal. There is no way some chronic might have developed with in months.
Do get it repeated sometime, but no need to worry right now.
Dr. Srikanth MD