Blood test showed SGPT 121. Should I be worried? How can this be controlled?

i got a blood test done. my sgpt levels were 121. the normal levels according to the report is 5 - 40 u/l. Is this figure larding and anything to worry about? How can this be controlled?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 4 hours later

In your LFT reports only one liver enzyme (SGPT) values is high. We should always assess the complete liver function profile instead of SGPT alone. Hence please write the entire report.

SGPT usually denotes an injury primary to Liver cells.
There are many reasons of elevated liver enzymes without elevated bilirubin. Few of the common causes for isolated SGPT elevation are certain medications (like statin for dyslipidemia, pain killer or NSAID etc.), alcohol, hepatitis, obesity, cirrhosis; Gall stone, pancreatitis, etc. Also rarely seen in celiac disease, XXXXXXX disease, hemochromatosis, infection mononucleosis, heart failure etc.

We need to rule out the above possibilities.

You may discuss with your treating doctor / gastroenterologist to correlate the findings with your medical history and exclude majority of the causes. If there is no significant cause found, then we need to monitor the levels by repeat tests done. In addition few more investigations such as ultrasound examination, complete blood count, viral hepatitis markers, blood sugar, PT (prothrombin time) and INR needs to be done too.

You already improved much with your liver enzyme reduction but still the level is high.

I encourage you to follow the below suggestions-

1. Plenty of fluid intakes.
2. Adequate XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and nutritious food containing vitamins and minerals.
3. No addiction (like alcohol, smoking etc.).
4. Don’t intake of medicine without doctor prescription.
5. Avoid spicy, fatty, oily food and take blunt diet.
6. Can start any hepatoprotective drugs (like liv 52), a proton pump inhibitor (like omeprazole).
7. Be cautious that stool should be clear every day otherwise you have to take laxative at night.
8. You can take Ursodexoycholic acid.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review for me.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly