Blood test reported high SGOT and SGPT. Uses workout supplements. What could be the cause?

can workout supplements cause elevated SGPT and SGOT? My 23 year old son just had bloodwork done for life insurance and his SGOT was was 99 and SGPT was 108. He does not drink alcohol or smoke but he uses different workout powders and goes to the gym at least 5 days a week.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The answer to your question solely depends on what kind of supplements your son is consuming, and what the ingredients are. But, both SGOT and SGPT are indeed raised.

Commenting on one such ingredient: One of the most commonly included supplement is creatine which has an impact on energy levels. This particular ingredient has found to effect the liver. One particular research has proved that creatine can lead to liver dysfunction, whereas, another has shown that creatine can worsen pre-existing liver disorders.

It is also found that, using these supplements does not have an effect up to 6 months, the slow and gradual effect starts only 6 months after continuous use. But, the final conclusion is that these supplements can indeed have an effect on the liver with long-term use. The right ingredients make all the difference.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.