Blood test report says mild anisopoikilocytosis, microcytic hypochromic with elliptocytes and ovalocytes. Meaning?

Question
Dear Sir, The attached blood test report says "Mild Anisopoikilocytosis. Microcytic hypochromic with elliptocytes and ovalocytes" and Glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) H 7.7 Kindly explain. Regards - Archana
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing in.

Aniso- means unequal size and poikilo- means variation in size of your red blood cells.

I went through your blood report thoroughly.

It is a typical picture of Iron deficiency anemia.
It causes small light colored RBCs along with variation in size of RBCs to pencil shaped cells, oval shaped cells with low hemoglobin level.
No need to worry, it is a treatable condition, very common condition in women especially in Indian set up.

Blood glucose tests show Diabetes features. Glycosylated hemoglobin shows glucose control in the last 3 months but is of less significance in patients with anemia. You need to be started on Oral hypoglycemic drugs for treatment of Diabetes.

Iron deficiency anemia is to be treated immediately with Iron therapy.

1. Dietary:
-Eat food XXXXXXX in iron like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, drumstick, Beetroot,
-Food XXXXXXX in proteins like pulses should be consumed.
-Jaggery can be used as sweetener in coffee, tea. It is XXXXXXX in iron.
-Chicki made of jaggery and proteins can be tried.
-Non-veg food gives very good results. It is absorbed better than veg foods.

2. Oral medications:
-Iron tablets containing Ferrous sulfate or fumarate with effective iron of 60mg should be taken one tablet daily for at least 3-4 months.
-Should be taken after food as it may cause burning sensation if taken on empty stomach.

3. Injection therapy:
-If oral therapy doesn't improve the hemoglobin levels because of poor absorption,
-If anemia is severe and needs immediate treatment.

Kindly visit your physician and get the medications prescribed.

Hope I have given you a satisfactory answer.

If you have any doubt, write to me. I will be happy to help you.

Wish you good health and happiness.