Blood sugar test done. What are the findings in the report?

I have the following conditions
Fasting glucose: 89
Fasting Insulin 15.22
Post Prandial Glucose: 101
Postprandial Insulin: 123.9

What is the reason for this? What should I do?
Thank you
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 9 hours later

Firstly Please let me know in what units were you insulin levels measured. Was it in pmol/l or µU/mL)/L because interpretation of both is different.

Secondly, your glucose levels are fine. Fasting should be <100 mg/dl and postprandial <140 mg/dl, which in your case are in normal ranges.

You need to tell me what is your weight and height. Nowadays there is a condition recognized called Metabolic syndrome in which there is resistance to insulin action. This condition is commonly seen in people who are overweight or obese. In such a case we measure what is known as HOMA-IR index (a measure of your insulin resistance) which we can calculate for you once you tell me the units in which insulin was measured.

Hope this helps

Dr. Om Lakhani,MD
Consultant Diabetologist.

Follow-up: Blood sugar test done. What are the findings in the report? 1 hour later
Thank you for your prompt reply.
The units for my insulin levels are µU/mL.
My weight is 89 and my height is 178cms.
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 58 minutes later

The Normal cut off of fasting insulin levels at your age should be around 17.5 according to Indian studies. You HOMA-IR which is a marker of insulin resistance is 3.3 according to calculations which should be <3.6 in Indians.

All in all your reports are in normal range. However they are on the higher aspect of the normal range. The concern also is the weight. You BMI is around 28 kg/m2 so you fall in range of overweight. You need to loose some weight - around 10-15% in 3-6 months ie around 9-10 kg would help. This will also bring the insulin levels are down.

I would advise you the following:

1. Regular exercise and physical activity
2. Weight loss of 10 kg
3. Repeat check for diabetes and cholesterol every 3-4 yrs, the tests you will go for are
a) Fasting Blood sugar and Post prandial
b) fasting lipid profile
c) Glycosylated hemoglobin (HBA1c)

Do need not have your insulin levels tested everytime.

Hope this helps

Dr. Om Lakhani, MD
Follow-up: Blood sugar test done. What are the findings in the report? 13 minutes later
Thank you.
So I need to worry about high postprandial insulin levels
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 52 minutes later
No. The normal levels of Insulin I mentioned for your are age are for fasting insulin Levels. Your post prandial insulin levels are fine. As I said , considering your glucose values are in normal range, you need not worry about you insulin values. The insulin values anyways carry more of academic importance then clinical importance.

In summary dont worry about these values, they are all normal. All you need to do is to loose a little weight.

Dr. Om