Blood sugar level is 200. Not doing any exercise. How much of carbohydrates can i have everyday?

Aug 2012

Please tell me the number of units of humalog I should figure in to "x" number of carbohydrates? As an example: my blood sugar is 200-I'll be eating a meal with 38 carbs-how many units of insulin should I figure in for the 38 carbs? I will not excercise after this evening meal, so I will not have the advantage of activity working to bring my blood sugar down. Thanks very much, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 11 hours later

Thank you for the query.
One needs to specify approximately total units of insulin he/she is taking. I can then tell you precise numbers of carbs matching to one unit of Humalog. Also I can tell you by how many points your blood glucose will fall by 1 unit of Humalog. Acceptable pre-meal blood glucose for your age is 120 to 140 mg/dl. When you say pre-meal sugar is 200 then about 60 mg/dl is extra. This should be covered by 'Y' units of Humalog. Then when you eat 38 carbs, you'd need X units. In this case you take Inj Humalog ''X + Y'' units.
Please let me know what is the total amount of insulin (including Humalog and any other basal insulin like Lantus or Levemir or Inj NPH) your doctor has prescribed for you per day.
If you are not sure of that, let me know your weight. I shall let you know the HUMALONG INSULIN TO CARBS and HUMALONG INSULIN TO EXTRA HIGH SUGAR ratios.
Shall wait for your reply on this.
Follow-up: Blood sugar level is 200. Not doing any exercise. How much of carbohydrates can i have everyday? 13 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I am not on a perscribed amount, I am using 13 units of Lantus at night and the sliding scale for the Humalog. I use no other blood sugar lowering medications or supplements. I am 73 and weigh 160 lbs at 5 ft. 10 inches. I excercise 5 times a week. Most of the time my blood sugar is running in the 200's and I figure that is because I am not giving myself enough Humalog BEFORE my meals. My meals generally consist of fruits and veggies (salads) and some protein-very few carbs. However, sometimes I eat a frozen dinner at night after work. That makes it easy since the total carbs and sugars are listed on the box. I just need to know the ratio of carbs to units of Humalog. Thanks again when you have the time.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 9 hours later

Thanks for this information.

Approximately 13 carbs should be covered with 1 unit of Humalog. And your blood sugar will fall by about 40 points by 1 unit of Humalog.
So again coming to your example- you need Y = 1.5 Unit, and X (for 38 carbs) = 3 units i.e. total of 4.5 units.

So the ratio of carbs to humalog insulin is 13:1.

I hope this helps. Please get back to me if you do not see significant imrpovement.

Thanks and wish you good luck.
Follow-up: Blood sugar level is 200. Not doing any exercise. How much of carbohydrates can i have everyday? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer in such great detail. It is exactly what I needed.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later
You are welcome. Please get back to me if sugars are not fine with this ratio as the ratio can change sometimes in case of stress. If you are satisfied please close the query and do write your review. Thank you again.