Blood pressure on electronic monitor got two reviews. Reliable?

I just had a free blood pressure reading at Walgreens. It read 124/99. The pharmacist said it was great. My friend a nurse said it was horrible. Who should I believe?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Radhika 33 minutes later

I presume you have your blood pressure was monitored using an electronic monitor. Blood pressure readings on electronic machines are always not reliable. You need to verify it manually at your doctors office.

As far as the current reading, ideal blood pressure is 120/80mmHg. But at the age of 51 any reading under 140/90mmHg is considered normal. Accordingly, I would say your current reading is a bit way off. We call such readings where lower diastolic reading is between 90 to 100 and/or the above systolic reading is between 120-140 as prehypertensive.

Hence I encourage you to get sequential blood pressures recorded on any 3 days of a week manually at your doctors office.

Continue with your current lifestyle and brisk walking. They have good influence on your heart and blood pressure. Avoid salted and fatty diet. Destressing measures also provide added benefits to your heart.

I understand its not easy to be not concerned when your close friend suffered myocardial infarction (MI). However I don't find any potential risks in your history yet to be worried off.

I also would suggest you to check the following when you XXXXXXX your physician:
- Whole body check up with blood tests at least once a year.
- You can do certain blood tests like Complete blood counts, Lipid profile, Renal function tests and Electrocardiogram (EKG).

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further follow ups. Yet, I will be available to clear any other doubts that you may have.

Wish you good health.